- Catching the Portland Winterhawks for first place in the Western Conference is almost impossible for the Kelowna Rockets. Capturing first place in the BC Division and subsequently becoming the second seed in the conference is doable. The Rockets' find themselves in that exact position after an impressive 4-0 win over the Everett Silvertips Tuesday night at Prospera Place. The Rockets' returned from the Christmas break by leapfrogging over the Prince George Cougars into first place in the division with 40 points - one better than the Cougars - who fell 3-0 to the Chilliwack Bruins.
- Evan Bloodoff led the way with two goals and an assist. Bloodoff's markers were scored on the power play as were those off the stick of Shane McColgan and Geordie Wudrick. The Rockets were 4 for 10 on the power play. Those ten power play chances were a season high.
- It was Bloodoff's third-three point game of his career. In 2009, Bloodoff had three points against Medicine Hat before earning 1+2=3 against Prince George in 2008.
- Adam Brown made 26 saves for his first shutout of the season and 9th of his career. Prior to last night's goose-egg, Brown shutout the Vancouver Giants in March of last season by also making 26 saves.
- Brown now owns the third best goals against average in the league, and outside of Calvin Pickard of the Seattle Thunderbirds, no goaltender in the top ten has faced more shots than Brown.
- The Rockets (98) have now allowed the third fewest goals against in the WHL. Only Red Deer (85) and Spokane (97) have allowed fewer goals against.
- Here are Brown's numbers in December. An average of 1.76 and save percentage of .938. Those are lights out statistics outside of an overall record of 5 and 3 during the month.
- Rockets defenceman Colton Jobke was hurt in the second period after a hit from Tips forward Markus McCrea. Jobke appeared to suffer a knee injury. After spending some time in the dressing room after hobbling off the ice, Jobke returned to take one shift before sitting out the remainder of the game.
- It was nice to see teammate Jesse Astles engage Markus McCrea in a fight for the forwards actions. While their was no winner in the tilt, the 17 year-old stood tall in a bout against a much larger player.
- The Rockets won for the 20th time this season. Significant when you consider the only time this franchise missed the playoffs was back in 2006-07 when they won 22 times.
- It was nice to see the team hold a moment of silence for longtime scout Ken Cochrane before the national anthems. Cochrane died of cancer over the holidays. Cochrane's son is Glen Cochrane, an NHL scout with the Anaheim Ducks.
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Second place in the conference ain't all that bad
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- My pick for first half MVP
- Rockets win fourth straight
- Rockets game notes vs. Blazers
- Second place in the conference ain't all that bad
- Game notes vs. Tips
- Rockets 2010 Recap
- Merry Christmas
- Things you didn't know about Callahan
- Attaboy Cally
- Rockets move into first place
- Welcome to Calgary
- One-on-one with Luke Schenn
- An off day with Luke Schenn and the Leafs
- Losing ways in Lethbridge are finally over
- Rockets game notes vs. Hurricanes
- Bunz's Tigers beat Brown's Rockets
- Rockets land top prospect
- Ten questions with Mitchell Callahan
- I like this photo
- Taking a skate at the Arena in Medicine Hat
- Hitting the books in the Hat
- Ten question with Mitchell Chapman
- Rockets add Goulbourne
- One goal losses often hurt the most
- Rockets game notes vs. Oil Kings
- Cuthbert earns first WHL coaching win!
- A fire on the Rockets bus!
- A look inside the Rockets room
- Random thoughts from Red Deer
- Rockets pics from Red Deer
- Eakin shows why he will be on Team Canada
- Is Novotny a no-go against his old team?
- Rockets game notes vs. Broncos
- Rockets acquire d-man, release Wall
- Callahan could wear USA colours
- Rockets beat beast from the east
- Third period collapse ends streak
- Quick hits before a road trip to the Wack
- Huska signs extension
- Brown named WHL Goaltender of the Month
- Make it 6 straight
- ▼ December (41)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)